Thursday, May 31, 2007

How did you sleep last night?

For far too many people, the answer is “not too well”…or “not enough”…or…”sleep? What sleep?”

Although we all know that getting a good night’s sleep makes the next morning a whole lot more bearable, adequate rest is actually a critical factor in how healthy we are. Lack of sleep affects one’s energy level, mood, learning capability, driving ability, concentration, and more.

So how do we make our sleep better? Here are some ideas.

Move the TV out of the bedroom. I did this myself recently, even though I once thought I couldn’t possibly go to sleep without it. I put it in a place that forces me to shut it off when I’m done watching, instead of leaving it on for hours and falling asleep to the drone of one program after another. I actually used to wake up sometimes and realize that the TV commercials were being woven into my dreams. Yikes! I’d rather dream about what’s already in my head, not get a “live feed” into my dreams from some advertiser! Since I banned the TV I found that I have gotten much more restful sleep.

Try to go to bed around the same time each night. Much easier said than done, in my opinion, but the experts say that having a regular bed time helps your body clock regulate itself much better. I’m still working on this one.

Get some exercise during the day. Another obvious idea, but this really makes a huge difference. On the days I take my dog for a long walk, he’s better behaved, more relaxed, and he sleeps longer. (Haven’t asked him if his sleep quality is better, but…) The same thing goes for human beings. Getting exercise, especially among the fresh air, will help you have a much better night’s sleep.

Make the room dark. Use room-darkening curtains, and turn off the computer, TV, or anything else that emits light when you go to bed. If necessary, use an eye mask. Light enters your eyes even through your closed lids, and the more light you let in, the more your body tells you to wake up. This is a tip I came to very gradually, being a “have to have a nightlight” kind of kid when I was little. Now that I have weaned myself off the excess nighttime light, I sleep much more soundly.

Use a wonderfully comfortable pillow, and, if you can afford it, get a great mattress. If you’ve ever spent the night on a too firm (or too soft, for that matter) mattress, you know how it can affect your ability to fall, and stay, asleep. I love my mattress, but I might try one of those “sleep number” ones the next time I’m in the market for a new bed. I think it would be great to be able to adjust the sleep surface whenever I’d like to. For years I slept with a buckwheat pillow, and it worked very well for me. But now I’m addicted to my memory foam pillow. Just sinking into it at night makes me happy, and I don’t wake up with a stiff neck. What type you choose depends on what position you sleep, but find the right pillow, and it will help keep you snoozing.

Keep the room the right temperature. Again, easier said than done when it’s the middle of summer or winter, but a room that’s cool without being frigid promotes more restful sleep for most people. Feet freezing? Try wearing a pair of socks.

Try natural sleep aids. Although sleep medications have their place, many cases of mild insomnia can be helped by more natural remedies. Many people, including me, swear by Rescue Remedy Sleep by Bach’s Flower Essences. It’s a flower essence which acts on the body energetically, without drug side effects. Many health food stores carry it. There are also many herbal teas that can naturally encourage relaxation and sleep, which contain herbs such as valerian, passionflower, and chamomile. Aromatherapy can be helpful, also. Try sprinkling a few drops of lavender essential oil on a piece of fabric and place it near your pillow.

Try guided imagery or "sleep music." There are some wonderful CDs of guided imagery that will gradually “talk” you to sleep, allowing your body to relax part by part, or bringing you to a “happy place” in your head that allows you to drift off into rest. Many of these CDs include relaxing music or nature sounds. Some music CDs actually encourage alpha waves in your brain that help ready you for sleep.

Get a massage. (Now, you knew I was going to mention this one, didn’t you?) Massage stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, which produces a relaxation response. Most of my clients report that they sleep unbelievably well the night following their massage. Studies show that it’s true: massage is one of the best, and healthiest, ways to relax your body and mind so you can have deep, restful sleep. Here at Peaceful Harbor, I like to say that massage helps you “find the peaceful harbor within.” Spending an hour or more in that state helps your body “remember” how to really relax. That feeling can follow through the next night and several more. Just imagine how a regularly scheduled massage could benefit your sleep. Call your massage therapist for an appointment and see for yourself. If you are in or near Amherst, NH, I hope you’ll give me a call here at Peaceful Harbor. 603-261-7141.

Feel free to share your sleep suggestions here.

Wishing you a good night’s sleep tonight!

Elsa from Peaceful Harbor
www.peacefulharbor.com

No comments: